"Veal glace is "da" bomb! I can' t wait to go home and make a batch. Thank you so much for a very informative, enjoyable and relaxed few days of great cooking and eating! Unforgettable."
London June 08
1. To make the frangipane mix cream the butter and sugar together with a whisk until light and fluffy, add the eggs and mix for a further 2 minutes until incorporated. Gently fold in the ground almonds, then the flour, keeping the mixture nice and light.
2. Roll out the pastry and cut into 12cm round disks.
3. Finely slice the apple, place in a bowl of water with a little lemon juice to prevent in discoloring.
4. Spread the frangipane mix onto the pastry disks, about 4 to 5ml thick, leaving about 5ml around the edge uncovered.
5. Place the apple slices neatly on top of the frangipane mix brush with a sugar glaze (made by boiling 2tbs sugar with 1tbs water).
6. Cook in pre-heated oven at 160°C/375°F for around 20 minutes or until the pasty is golden brown. Serve with a ball of vanilla ice cream on top of the tart.
This is a makes a lovely light dessert, you could also serve it with crème fraîche instead of vanilla ice cream.
The frangipane can be made the day before and kept in the fridge in an airtight container, but the tarts should be cooked just before you want to serve them.
Experience the reality of gourmet cooking yourself. There is only one way to learn and that is to do it! Top chefs, luxury accommodation, set in France - the home of gourmet cuisine; what more could you ask for?
Your hosts and tutors are acclaimed chefs Maynard Harvey and Benedict Haines, two modern chefs who use the freshest ingredients with an emphasis on distinct flavours and clean, meticulous presentation. Their passion and enthusiasm for cooking will stimulate your own love of food, and their expertise will help you gain confidence and perfect your technique in the kitchen.
To find out more about our holidays, courses, accommodation and location deep in the heart of the 'real' French countryside, please look around our site. For further information, contact us.