"Thank you so much for a great week! The experience has been more than expected. All 3 of your amazing attitudes towards helping us rookies made it even better. I will be sure to pass along the word & hope to see you again!"
Germany & USA
1. Peel apples & pears and cut into 1.5cm chunks. Roughly chop almonds and set aside with the fruit.
2. Put brown sugar into frying pan with a couple of tablespoons of water to help it dissolve, cook until it is just turning to caramel.
3. Add apples, pears, almonds & cranberries, cook over medium heat until the apple & pears are just soft & the almonds are golden brown; but be careful not to burn them! Remove from heat and leave to cool
4. Brush a filo leaf with melted butter, place another one on top & brush with butter. Divide the fruit mix into 5 equal portions, and place a portion of mix just off center on the pastry. Fold in the sides to cover fruit, then roll/fold the pastry to form a parcel. Place on baking tray and repeat for the other 4 parcels.
5. Cook in pre-heated oven at 160°C until golden brown (approx 30 to 40 minutes)
Dust with ice sugar just before serving. Lovely autumnal pudding, very quick to make and a great use of seasonal fruit. Cooking the almonds until golden brown brings out the flavour however they can burn very easily so you really need to keep an eye on them! You can of course vary the fruit you use, or the nuts pecans are also delicious with this. Lovely served with vanilla ice-cream, or créme fraîche or whipped cream.
The parcels can be made up to a day in advance and kept in the fridge but should be cooked to order.
Cooking courses and gourmet vacations available at
Experience the reality of gourmet cooking yourself. There is only one way to learn and that is to do it! Top chefs, luxury accommodation, set in France - the home of gourmet cuisine; what more could you ask for?
Your hosts and tutors are acclaimed chefs Maynard Harvey and Emerson Farrar, two modern chefs who use the freshest ingredients with an emphasis on distinct flavours and clean, meticulous presentation. Their passion and enthusiasm for cooking will stimulate your own love of food, and their expertise will help you gain confidence and perfect your technique in the kitchen.
To find out more about our holidays, courses, accommodation and location deep in the heart of the 'real' French countryside, please look around our site. For further information, contact us.