"This week met & exceeded our expectations for the course. We really liked the menu selection, attention to detail, patient explanations and demonstrations and very high quality ingredients. We especially liked the hands-on approach and attention to useful techniques and plating. The Walnut Grove accommodations and facilities are cozy, spacious, and exactly what we were hoping to find when we booked the course. Thanks for sharing your skill and experience with us, and thanks to Freya for her timely and clear explanations by email prior to the start of the course and for her guidance on the outings to the mill and the fromagerie. We hope to see you again!"
Steve & Keiko Del Regno
1. Place cod on buttered tray, brush butter over the top of the fillet and season with salt & pepper. Cover with tin foil or parchment paper. Pre-heat oven to 180°C
2. Prep mussels by first making sure they are all alive (closed or willing to close when tapped on bench), then removing beards and wash them.
3. Heat a large saucepan (that has a lid) until very hot, add the mussels followed by the white wine. Put lid on and shake pan over the heat until all the mussels have opened. Remove from heat, take the mussels out of the shells and set aside.
4. Strain the juice from the mussels and reduce in a small saucepan to half the amount. Whisk in butter and a little lemon juice, when ready to serve add tomato concasse, (tomatoes that have been peeled, deseeded and cut into 5ml square pieces) chives and finally the mussels.
5. To cook the cod place in hot oven until the fish is just cooked and you can just prise the flakes of fish apart. Place in large bowl, spoon sauce over & around it and garnish with fresh herbs.
Main course dish, crushed new potatoes or fresh new potatoes would go very well with it.
Needs to be prepared to order to retain the fresh flavours.
Cooking courses and gourmet vacations available at
Experience the reality of gourmet cooking yourself. There is only one way to learn and that is to do it! Top chefs, luxury accommodation, set in France - the home of gourmet cuisine; what more could you ask for?
Your hosts and tutors are acclaimed chefs Maynard Harvey and Emerson Farrar, two modern chefs who use the freshest ingredients with an emphasis on distinct flavours and clean, meticulous presentation. Their passion and enthusiasm for cooking will stimulate your own love of food, and their expertise will help you gain confidence and perfect your technique in the kitchen.
To find out more about our holidays, courses, accommodation and location deep in the heart of the 'real' French countryside, please look around our site. For further information, contact us.