"Thank you for a very fun & interesting course in a beautiful place with lovely people! I've learned loads of new things, I can't wait to put them into practice (especially pastry!!!) In short; you've inspired an absolute beginner to love cooking!"
1. Pre-heat cooking oil in either a fryer or a large saucepan to 180°C/375°F
2. Mix together the flour, cornflour &curry powder into a large mixing bowl, then whisk in the lager to make a smooth thick batter - the consistency should be like thick double cream (unwhisked!) season with salt and whisk again and use immediately.
3. Place the extra flour in a large bowl and season. Dip the cod fillets into flour, then pat off the excess flour.
4. Holding the fish by the tip, dip into the batter until it is completely coated, then transfer to the hot oil, taking care not to splash yourself.
5 . Cook for 2 to 3 minutes on one side, then turn over and cook for a further 9 to 10 minutes (2 to 3 minutes more than that if you have very thick fillets of cod.)
6. Remove from the oil and drain onto paper towels, season with extra salt and serve.
What can we say - it has to be lovely thick chips with a wedge of lemon, and some tartare sauce!
This is a dish to be made to order, use the batter as soon as it is made.
Experience the reality of gourmet cooking yourself. There is only one way to learn and that is to do it! Top chefs, luxury accommodation, set in France - the home of gourmet cuisine; what more could you ask for?
Your hosts and tutors are acclaimed chefs Maynard Harvey and Emerson Farrar, two modern chefs who use the freshest ingredients with an emphasis on distinct flavours and clean, meticulous presentation. Their passion and enthusiasm for cooking will stimulate your own love of food, and their expertise will help you gain confidence and perfect your technique in the kitchen.
To find out more about our holidays, courses, accommodation and location deep in the heart of the 'real' French countryside, please look around our site. For further information, contact us.