"Great food, great wine, great friends & great, great course!! Many thanks Maynard, Bendict and Freya - believe me I have learnt so, so much! Loved every minute."
Jane & Terry Smith
1. In a large mixing bowl add the flour, sugar, salt, melted butter and the two egg yolks (reserve the egg whites for later).
2. Warm the milk until it is medium hot, it must not be scalding, dissolve the yeast into the warm milk with a whisk.
3. Beat the milk into the bowl with the dry ingredients, butter & yolks and beat until smooth. Leave in a warm place to prove until it has doubled in size.
4. Beat the egg whites until they form peaks, then fold into the mixture with the chopped dill.
5. Heat a non-stick frying pan with about ½cm of cooking oil until it is hot and then using a teaspoon, drop spoon-fulls of the mixture into the pan. Cook until golden brown on both sides then transfer to absorbant paper towels to rest until you are ready to use.
6. To fold the smoked salmon, first cut the salmon into a strip approx 10cm wide, then holding both ends, twist one end and then gently wrap it around your finger. Place carefully on your blini, garnish with a bit of crème fraîche and a sprig of dill.
Makes perfect canapès, or if you make larger blinis you could serve them as a starter.
The blinis need to be cooked when the batter is ready and you have added the egg whites, and they are best cooked just before serving.
Experience the reality of gourmet cooking yourself. There is only one way to learn and that is to do it! Top chefs, luxury accommodation, set in France - the home of gourmet cuisine; what more could you ask for?
Your hosts and tutors are acclaimed chefs Maynard Harvey and Emerson Farrar, two modern chefs who use the freshest ingredients with an emphasis on distinct flavours and clean, meticulous presentation. Their passion and enthusiasm for cooking will stimulate your own love of food, and their expertise will help you gain confidence and perfect your technique in the kitchen.
To find out more about our holidays, courses, accommodation and location deep in the heart of the 'real' French countryside, please look around our site. For further information, contact us.