"Good friends, good food, good times. Thank you for a wonderful memory and a new way of looking at food. The knowledge you shared with us will change our lives and our menus. Thank you for a magical time."
1. Peel and finely slice onions, pre-heat a large frying pan add the olive oil and half of the butter, add onions and sweat until translucent but not coloured.
2. Peel and finely chop garlic. Add the smoked bacon lardons (matchsticks of bacon) ; chopped thyme and garlic and cook over a medium heat until the bacon starts to brown. Remove from heat and set aside.
3. Peel and slice the potatoes very thinly, with a mandolin or by hand, set aside.
4. In a large casserole dish arrange layers of the potatoes and cooked onions & bacon mixture - starting with potatoes and finishing with a layer of potatoes on top.
5. Pour the chicken stock over the top, melt the remaining butter and brush over the potatoes.
6. Bake in pre-heated oven at 160°C/375°F until the stock has reduced and the potatoes are soft when sliced with a knife - around 1 hour.
This is a classic French potato dish, and is a perfect accompaniment to lamb, chicken or pork dishes.
Is best cooked and served immediately. It can be left to rest for 20 minutes before serving, which will allow it to firm up a little.
Cooking courses and gourmet vacations available at
Experience the reality of gourmet cooking yourself. There is only one way to learn and that is to do it! Top chefs, luxury accommodation, set in France - the home of gourmet cuisine; what more could you ask for?
Your hosts and tutors are acclaimed chefs Maynard Harvey and Emerson Farrar, two modern chefs who use the freshest ingredients with an emphasis on distinct flavours and clean, meticulous presentation. Their passion and enthusiasm for cooking will stimulate your own love of food, and their expertise will help you gain confidence and perfect your technique in the kitchen.
To find out more about our holidays, courses, accommodation and location deep in the heart of the 'real' French countryside, please look around our site. For further information, contact us.