"I wanted to write and say how much I enjoyed the advanced course. For someone like me who cooks all day long in my job, it was great to work with two such knowlegable and creative people who were so good at teaching us skills and passing on information. I really wanted a 'hands-on' course, rather than one that was mostly demonstration and this course was definitely that. I learnt many new things that I will be using back at work - my guests are going to be so impressed! All in all, I found the course to be very useful and would highly recommend it."
1. Pre-heat deep frying vegetable oil, and deep fry the spring roll pastry one at a time, until golden brown. Set aside to kitchen roll to absorb any excess oil.
2. Pre-heat a non stick frying pan until hot, add a tablespoon of vegetable oil, and panfry the chicken livers until golden brown on either side and pink in the middle (reasonably soft to touch).
3. Remove chicken livers from the frying pan, set aside on a plate. Add the green peppercorns to hot pan, pour in brandy and flame (this removes the bitterness of the alcohol).
4. Add the cream to the frying pan, and reduce until you have a sauce consistency. Gently add the chicken livers back into the frying pan and reheat them in the sauce and season well.
5. To plate up, put one of the sheets of spring roll pastry on a plate, cover with half the chicken livers, put the next sheet of spring roll pastry on top, and gently place the remaining chicken livers on top of that.
6. Carefully spoon the sauce over the chicken livers and around the plate, garnish with a little freshly chopped green herbs then place the last sheet of pastry on the top and serve.
This is a very rich dish, so if you are serving it as a starter, make sure it is followed by a light main course. Alternatively you could serve this as a nice lunch with a bit of fresh green salad.
Because it is such a quick and easy dish, it is really best just to prepare it when you are ready to cook and serve it. Always try to keep the chicken livers pink, they are so much nicer to eat like this.
Experience the reality of gourmet cooking yourself. There is only one way to learn and that is to do it! Top chefs, luxury accommodation, set in France - the home of gourmet cuisine; what more could you ask for?
Your hosts and tutors are acclaimed chefs Maynard Harvey and Benedict Haines, two modern chefs who use the freshest ingredients with an emphasis on distinct flavours and clean, meticulous presentation. Their passion and enthusiasm for cooking will stimulate your own love of food, and their expertise will help you gain confidence and perfect your technique in the kitchen.
To find out more about our holidays, courses, accommodation and location deep in the heart of the 'real' French countryside, please look around our site. For further information, contact us.