"Dear Freya, Maynard. & Benedict, What a beautiful course and a beautiful week! Thank you for sharing your extraordinary skills and for your patience, humour and grace."
New York, USA
1. Melt chocolate and over a bain marie and stir in diced butter until butter is melted too, put to one side.
2. Soak gelatine leaf in cold water until soft, then dissolve in the hot water, leave to one side.
3. Whisk egg yolks and cocoa powder together then slowly add olive oil whisking all the time (like making mayonnaise). Add gelatine and water, then fold gently into the chocolate mixture.
4. Add the lightly beaten egg whites to the chocolate mixture, fold in - the egg whites are not whipped, just lightly stirred until they are "broken".
5. Place into moulds three quarters full of the mixture. Put to one side and make the caramel sauce: in a small saucepan add the sugar and a couple of tablespoons of water, bring to the boil and simmer until it is caramel (golden) colour. Add the orange juice and Grand Marnier, and leave to cool.
6. When the mixture in the moulds are half set make a whole in the middle (we used the handle of a wooden spoon) and pour in the orange caramel sauce until the hole is full. Top up with the rest of the chocolate mixture and refrigerate until set.
7. When serving, dip the dariol moulds into hot water and tip out onto a plate.
Great chocoholic pudding! We serve it with candied orange zest and sauce Anglais.
Can be made up to two days before.
Experience the reality of gourmet cooking yourself. There is only one way to learn and that is to do it! Top chefs, luxury accommodation, set in France - the home of gourmet cuisine; what more could you ask for?
Your hosts and tutors are acclaimed chefs Maynard Harvey and Emerson Farrar, two modern chefs who use the freshest ingredients with an emphasis on distinct flavours and clean, meticulous presentation. Their passion and enthusiasm for cooking will stimulate your own love of food, and their expertise will help you gain confidence and perfect your technique in the kitchen.
To find out more about our holidays, courses, accommodation and location deep in the heart of the 'real' French countryside, please look around our site. For further information, contact us.