"Awesome week :-)
Dynamic duo - thanks for all the tips & tricks you taught us. We raved to you all week so you know how much we appreciate your guidance as we learned all these fabulous dishes! Best of luck for the rest of the year and thank you for not having us arrested!"
Nicole, Chris, Lenora, Dick, Pam
1. In a large frying pan fry mince off until browned, transfer to a mixing bowl.
2. Finely chop onion, peel potatoes, carrots & swede and chop into 1cm dice; add oil to medium hot frying pan and gently fry the vegetables until just cooked without colour.
3. Add to cooked beef, season with the tbspn of freshly ground black pepper and salt to taste, allow to cool.
4. When cool divide into 5 equal portions. Take 1 puff pastry disk at a time, brush around the outside edge with the egg wash, place one portion of the filling in the middle of the pastry, fold in half and push down firmly.
5. Where the edges of the pastry are stuck together make pleats by pushing the pastry over. Repeat for the other pasties. Egg wash once, let it rest for around 20 minutes, egg wash again and sprinkle lightly with sea salt. Transfer to a baking tray and cook at 180°C for about 20 minutes or until the pastry is golden brown and cooked.
Traditionally these are made with a shortcrust pastry, but we also like them made with puff pastry, and using a good quality ready made pastry makes it a quick & easy munch! Can be eaten anytime, lunch or dinner, great for picnics. Hot chips (or fries for our north American friends!) go really well, with ketchup or brown sauce, best served hot.
Can be made but not cooked up to a day in advance, kept covered in cling-film in the fridge, but need to be cooked to order.
Experience the reality of gourmet cooking yourself. There is only one way to learn and that is to do it! Top chefs, luxury accommodation, set in France - the home of gourmet cuisine; what more could you ask for?
Your hosts and tutors are acclaimed chefs Maynard Harvey and Emerson Farrar, two modern chefs who use the freshest ingredients with an emphasis on distinct flavours and clean, meticulous presentation. Their passion and enthusiasm for cooking will stimulate your own love of food, and their expertise will help you gain confidence and perfect your technique in the kitchen.
To find out more about our holidays, courses, accommodation and location deep in the heart of the 'real' French countryside, please look around our site. For further information, contact us.