"What a week! Pure pleasure in every aspect. When my visitors see the results of my "plating up" they'll think I've gone into fine art mode (hopefully)! To your success."
Dorothy Escott, France
1. Put the cream and milk into a saucepan. Using a small knife slit open the vanilla pod and scrape out the seeds. Put seeds and the pod into the pan with the milk & cream. Heat up to scalding point (just before boiling).
2. In a mixing bowl combine the marscapone cheese, eggs and sugar. Whisk until smooth.
3. Pour the hot milk & cream mix into the bowl with the eggs, sugar and marscapone, and whisk. Stir in the Baileys and then pass the mixture through a fine sieve.
4. Add coffee essence until you reach the desired flavour. (Coffee essences/extracts vary in strength and quality, therefore there we do not state an exact quantity.)
5. Pour the mixture into ramekins (or small serving bowls, heatproof). Place in a bain marie and cook in a pre-heated oven at 160°C/320°F for around 40 min's.
6. To check if the brulée are sufficiently cooked, tap the side of the ramekin while they are still in the oven and they should be just set in the middle.
7 . When cooked, remove from oven and leave to cool, then refrigerate for at least 4 hours.
8. Just before serving, sprinkle the top of the brulée lightly with caster sugar, and glaze with a gas burner.
We like to serve this particular créme brulée with pistachio nut shortbread.
These can be made up to two days before serving, but must be glazed just before serving, or the sugar dissolves and you lose the crunch of the caramel.
Experience the reality of gourmet cooking yourself. There is only one way to learn and that is to do it! Top chefs, luxury accommodation, set in France - the home of gourmet cuisine; what more could you ask for?
Your hosts and tutors are acclaimed chefs Maynard Harvey and Benedict Haines, two modern chefs who use the freshest ingredients with an emphasis on distinct flavours and clean, meticulous presentation. Their passion and enthusiasm for cooking will stimulate your own love of food, and their expertise will help you gain confidence and perfect your technique in the kitchen.
To find out more about our holidays, courses, accommodation and location deep in the heart of the 'real' French countryside, please look around our site. For further information, contact us.