"A huge thank you to everyone for a fantastic course. It has enabled
beginners like me to discover cooking and to love it. Maynard and Benedict
passed on to all of us a passion for food and its presentation with a relaxed professionalism which allowed everyone to flourish, no matter their
what their initial talents - or lack of them - were!"
1. Slice the onions, heat olive oil in a saucepan and cook onion and thyme until caramelised, then add finely chopped garlic and cook for another minute or so.
2. Add wine, vinegar and sugar and reduce to thick syrupy consistency.
3. Pan fry the foie gras in a heavy based frying pan, which is hot, but dry (no oil). Cook for about 1 to 2 minutes each side, until it is soft in the center.
4. Place the onion compote in the center of your plate, and carefully place the foie gras on top of it. It is now ready to serve.
5. Simple tip, for the success of this dish don't over cook the foie gras, keep it nice and pink and moist.
This is a nice starter but quite rich so keep the portion small. For the best results buy the best quality foie gras you can afford and make sure it is raw (not tinned).
The onion compote can be made a couple of days in advance but the foie gras has to be cooked just before serving.
Experience the reality of gourmet cooking yourself. There is only one way to learn and that is to do it! Top chefs, luxury accommodation, set in France - the home of gourmet cuisine; what more could you ask for?
Your hosts and tutors are acclaimed chefs Maynard Harvey and Benedict Haines, two modern chefs who use the freshest ingredients with an emphasis on distinct flavours and clean, meticulous presentation. Their passion and enthusiasm for cooking will stimulate your own love of food, and their expertise will help you gain confidence and perfect your technique in the kitchen.
To find out more about our holidays, courses, accommodation and location deep in the heart of the 'real' French countryside, please look around our site. For further information, contact us.