"I had a fantastic time. The farmhouse was beautiful and the experience far exceeded my expectations. Maynard and Benedict are great teachers, and Freya was great also. I would recommend this trip to all my friends and co-workers."
1. Put the sugar and water into a saucepan, bring to the boil and simmer for 1 minute.
2. Add glucose and tonic water, chill in fridge until cold.
3. When cold add the gin and lemon juice to taste. NB: don't be tempted to add too much gin because when it is frozen the flavour intensifies.
4. Transfer to an ice cream machine and churn until set. Freeze for at least 2 hours after churning, then it is ready to serve. If you do not have an ice cream machine, you can still make sorbet by putting the syrup into the freezer, and every half and hour or so, whisk it until the ice crystals are broken down, and the consistency is smooth - then put back into freezer.
5. We serve this with a strong G&T in the bottom of a shot glass, with a ball of the sorbet on top. A good party sorbet!
This can be made well in advance because of the fact it is frozen, however it is always worth taking homemade ice creams and sorbets (because they have no artificial softening agents) out of the freeze 10 to 20 minutes before using to allow it to reach optimum consistency. We serve this particular sorbet as a palate cleanser i.e. between the starter and the main course, however due to the fact this is such a fresh sorbet it might be a novel idea to serve it or just eat it yourself as a pre-dinner refresher in the sun!
Cooking courses and gourmet vacations available at
Experience the reality of gourmet cooking yourself. There is only one way to learn and that is to do it! Top chefs, luxury accommodation, set in France - the home of gourmet cuisine; what more could you ask for?
Your hosts and tutors are acclaimed chefs Maynard Harvey and Emerson Farrar, two modern chefs who use the freshest ingredients with an emphasis on distinct flavours and clean, meticulous presentation. Their passion and enthusiasm for cooking will stimulate your own love of food, and their expertise will help you gain confidence and perfect your technique in the kitchen.
To find out more about our holidays, courses, accommodation and location deep in the heart of the 'real' French countryside, please look around our site. For further information, contact us.