"What can I say that hasn't already been written? The course exceeded my expectations. I loved every minute in the kitchen and learned so much. Thank you for sharing your talent, you recipes and a few laughs - à bientôt!"
1. Peel, remove core and slice apples into 1cm slices. You need six slices of apple. Coat the apple in lemon juice to stop discoloration.
2. Blend goat's cheese until smooth, divide into six equal portions, roll into balls and set aside. Blend half the soft herbs with the breadcrumbs and set aside.
3. Cut 2 disks from the bread the same size as the apple. Gently fry the apple and the bread until they are golden brown.
4. Using the fried bread crouton as the base, starting with the apple, layer the apple and the flattened goats cheese balls. Sprinkle with the breadcrumb and herb mix and bake in a hot oven - 190° until golden brown (around 10 min's)
5. For the dressing, chop the roasted walnuts, add the oil, remaining herbs and vinegar, and season to taste. Serve straight from the oven with a few dressed salad leaves and the walnut vinaigrette.
These can be made the morning before consumption, however keep the croutons separate (in an airtight container) or they will become soft. The walnut vinaigrette can also be made a few hours before, it is best served at room temperature. The vinaigrette will keep for a few days however it is always best when it had just been made a couple of hours before, because the walnuts will lose their crunch.
This is a very rich and strong tasting starter, so you need to be careful about what you serve after it - we would serve a reasonably light dish that is not too rich or filling. It is a fantastic vegetarian dish, and is also great as a tasty lunch. Suitable for vegetarians.
Cooking courses and gourmet vacations available at
Experience the reality of gourmet cooking yourself. There is only one way to learn and that is to do it! Top chefs, luxury accommodation, set in France - the home of gourmet cuisine; what more could you ask for?
Your hosts and tutors are acclaimed chefs Maynard Harvey and Emerson Farrar, two modern chefs who use the freshest ingredients with an emphasis on distinct flavours and clean, meticulous presentation. Their passion and enthusiasm for cooking will stimulate your own love of food, and their expertise will help you gain confidence and perfect your technique in the kitchen.
To find out more about our holidays, courses, accommodation and location deep in the heart of the 'real' French countryside, please look around our site. For further information, contact us.