"For me it was a great experience and just what was required by a retired gentleman attempting to improve his poor cooking skills! The opportunity of working so closely and informally with such enthusiastic and knowledgeable chefs as Maynard and Benedict was very special.
1. Roll out the pastry 5mm thick and line a 8"/20cm baking tin with pastry, and leave to rest in the fridge for an hour.
2. Place a circle of greaseproof paper on top, and half fill with baking beans (or dried chick peas.)
3. Bake in oven preheated to 180°C/350°F/gas mark 4 for about 20 minutes, then remove the beans and paper and cook until pastry base is golden brown.
4. Brush the pastry with the egg yolks and put back in the oven for 2-3 minutes. This helps to stop the liquid absorbing into the pastry and making it go soft.
5. In a clean bowl, add juice of 4 lemons and the finely grated zest of 2 lemons, the sugar, eggs and cream, and whisk. Skim off any froth from the surface.
6 Pour the lemon cream into the pastry case and bake in preheated oven, at 130°C/260°F/gas mark 3, for about 40 minutes, or until the middle of the tart is just set. Remove from oven and leave to cool.
7. If you have a blowtorch you can sprinkle with sugar and caramelise the top lightly.
We like to serve this lemon tart with our iced lime parfait, topped with candied lemon zest. However this dessert is certainly good enough to be served on its own.
This tart, like most pastry desserts, are best made on the day of consumption, however the pastry could be made the day before to save a little time.
Experience the reality of gourmet cooking yourself. There is only one way to learn and that is to do it! Top chefs, luxury accommodation, set in France - the home of gourmet cuisine; what more could you ask for?
Your hosts and tutors are acclaimed chefs Maynard Harvey and Emerson Farrar, two modern chefs who use the freshest ingredients with an emphasis on distinct flavours and clean, meticulous presentation. Their passion and enthusiasm for cooking will stimulate your own love of food, and their expertise will help you gain confidence and perfect your technique in the kitchen.
To find out more about our holidays, courses, accommodation and location deep in the heart of the 'real' French countryside, please look around our site. For further information, contact us.