"Fabulous five days! Learned a great deal and enjoyed every minute. Thanks also for putting up with my delusional friend - we all know that I was Maynard's favorite student, and Benedict's favorite drinker & bottle washer!"
1. Heat a non-stick frying pan until smoking then add 2 tbsp of olive oil and gently place the mackerel fillets skin side down, push the fish down so the skin sticks to the pan. Fry for about 2 minutes then turn over and fry for another minute. Remove from the pan and place in a serving dish.
2. Finely slice the carrots into circles, and slice the shallots into rings.
3. Wipe the frying pan clean and place back on a medium heat. Add 50ml of olive oil and fry the shallots, carrots, star anise, crushed coriander seed & saffron strands for about 5 minutes, until they are cooked without color.
4. Add the vinegars and the remainder of the olive oil, bring to the boil then add the parsley and season to taste.
5. Carefully pour the dressing over the fish and serve.
This is a nice fresh light starter or a nice summery lunch
Needs to be cooked to order
Experience the reality of gourmet cooking yourself. There is only one way to learn and that is to do it! Top chefs, luxury accommodation, set in France - the home of gourmet cuisine; what more could you ask for?
Your hosts and tutors are acclaimed chefs Maynard Harvey and Emerson Farrar, two modern chefs who use the freshest ingredients with an emphasis on distinct flavours and clean, meticulous presentation. Their passion and enthusiasm for cooking will stimulate your own love of food, and their expertise will help you gain confidence and perfect your technique in the kitchen.
To find out more about our holidays, courses, accommodation and location deep in the heart of the 'real' French countryside, please look around our site. For further information, contact us.