"Maynard, Benedict & Freya - This amazing course was exactly what I was looking for - and it far exceeded my expectations. I have learned so much, and look forward to using all the techniques when I return home. My first dinner party will be next weekend when I return to Pasadena, - everyone is looking forward to checking out some of my Walnut Grove experience.
Thank you all very much for making the week such an enjoyable experience!"
1. Peel parsnips and slice in half, or if they are very large, either into thirds or quarters - cutting along the length of the parsnip. Steam until half cooked (about 5 minutes) and allow to cool.
2. Heat butter & oil in roasting tray, add maple syrup and melt together over a gentle heat. Add parsnips and 4 tablespoons of water.
3. Coat parsnips in mixture, sprinkle with salt & lots of freshly ground pepper and cook in the oven at 160°C.
4. Keep checking and adding more water every 10 to 15 minutes to ensure the maple does not over-caramelise; it should be quite liquid at this point because it will quickly evaporate.
5. When the parsnips are tender (approx 1hr), reduce the syrup down (in the oven, just don't add any more water), basting it over the parsnips until golden brown.
Serve as an accompaniment with any meat dish, but in particular it is a match made in Heaven with duck!
Can be cooked a few hours in advance and just flashed through the oven before serving. You do need to keep a close eye on the parsnips while they are cooking to ensure they don't burn, but it is worth all the effort. So often when roasting parsnips they can become too dry; we have overcome that with the additional water, which means they are plump & moist when you eat them, with a lovely maple caramel crust!
Experience the reality of gourmet cooking yourself. There is only one way to learn and that is to do it! Top chefs, luxury accommodation, set in France - the home of gourmet cuisine; what more could you ask for?
Your hosts and tutors are acclaimed chefs Maynard Harvey and Emerson Farrar, two modern chefs who use the freshest ingredients with an emphasis on distinct flavours and clean, meticulous presentation. Their passion and enthusiasm for cooking will stimulate your own love of food, and their expertise will help you gain confidence and perfect your technique in the kitchen.
To find out more about our holidays, courses, accommodation and location deep in the heart of the 'real' French countryside, please look around our site. For further information, contact us.