"Four cooks from Oz extraordinaire
Met two chefs so debonair
We filleted fish, plated our dish
And went home with new skills and more flair!"
1. Roll out the pastry 3mm thick and line whatever you want to cook your tarts in (we used 10cm moulds with removable bottoms), and leave to rest in the fridge for an hour.
2. Place a circle of greaseproof paper on top of each pastry case, and half fill with baking beans (or dried chick peas.)
3. Bake in oven preheated to 165°C for about 20 minutes, then remove the beans and paper and cook until pastry base is golden brown.
4. Brush the pastry with the beaten egg and put back in the oven for 2-3 minutes. This helps to stop the liquid absorbing into the pastry and making it go soft.
5. In a heavy based saucepan bring the cream and the maple syrup to the boil, remove from heat and add the ground almonds.
6. In a separate bowl beat the eggs and extra yolk together then beat into the maple syrup mixture.
7. Pour into pastry cases and cook at 165°C until the mixture is golden brown (see picture). Remove from oven and leave to cool.
We like to serve these tarts with vanilla ice-cream and candied orange zest. However this dessert is certainly tasty enough to be served on its own.
This tart, like most pastry desserts, are best made on the day of consumption, however the pastry could be made the day before to save a little time.
Cooking courses and gourmet vacations available at
Experience the reality of gourmet cooking yourself. There is only one way to learn and that is to do it! Top chefs, luxury accommodation, set in France - the home of gourmet cuisine; what more could you ask for?
Your hosts and tutors are acclaimed chefs Maynard Harvey and Emerson Farrar, two modern chefs who use the freshest ingredients with an emphasis on distinct flavours and clean, meticulous presentation. Their passion and enthusiasm for cooking will stimulate your own love of food, and their expertise will help you gain confidence and perfect your technique in the kitchen.
To find out more about our holidays, courses, accommodation and location deep in the heart of the 'real' French countryside, please look around our site. For further information, contact us.