"Fortunately turned out to be an excellent 50th birthday present. Peter got to cook & learn, I got to sample. It was a well balanced course, patiently taught and well organized. Thanks to all."
For the sauce:
1. Mix all the ingredients together at least an hour before serving to allow flavors to infuse. Keep refrigerated until serving.
For the onion bhaji's:
1. Make a batter with the chickpea/gram flour and a little water to a reasonably thick consistency.
2. Add the salt, mint sauce, garam masala & chopped coriander and mix until incorporated. Peel then finely slice the onions and mix into the batter.
3. Pre-heat oil to 180°C in a large saucepan or deep fryer, then carefully put tablespoons of the batter into the oil one at time, cook for about 3 minutes then remove and leave to cool on absorbent paper towels.
4. About 5 minutes before you want to serve put back into hot oil and cook until dark brown & crispy, about 4 to 5 minutes. Remove from oil and drain on paper towels.
Makes a lovely starter or light lunch with a green salad. Suitable for vegetarians
The sauce is best made the day you will use it for the flavors to be their freshest, the bhaji's can be made up to 8 hours before you use them, but left at room temperature until the second frying.
Cooking courses and gourmet vacations available at
Experience the reality of gourmet cooking yourself. There is only one way to learn and that is to do it! Top chefs, luxury accommodation, set in France - the home of gourmet cuisine; what more could you ask for?
Your hosts and tutors are acclaimed chefs Maynard Harvey and Emerson Farrar, two modern chefs who use the freshest ingredients with an emphasis on distinct flavours and clean, meticulous presentation. Their passion and enthusiasm for cooking will stimulate your own love of food, and their expertise will help you gain confidence and perfect your technique in the kitchen.
To find out more about our holidays, courses, accommodation and location deep in the heart of the 'real' French countryside, please look around our site. For further information, contact us.