"Many thanks Maynard, Benedict & Freya for a wonderful week a the Walnut Grove. It has been worth traveling from Australia to learn new skills in cooking. I look forward to putting the skills and techniques I have learnt this week to good use at home. The course was everything I expected it to be, and in such a beautiful location. I hope I can return some day for the advanced course!"
1. Peel and chop potatoes into small dice, place in a saucepan and cover with water, bring to the boil and cook until soft. Strain and then mash with the knob of butter, then set aside.
2. Cut the salmon into slices approx 1cm thick and pan-fry until just cooked. Mix in with the warm potatoes and add the dill, whole grain mustard and lemon juice. Season to taste and put in the refrigerator to cool.
3. Once the mixture is chilled, roll into balls, all the same size.
4. Take 3 bowls, put plain white flour in one, beaten egg in another and the breadcrumbs in the other. Coat each ball with first flour, then egg and then breadcrumbs. Using a pallet knife, shape the balls into flat fishcakes about 2cm high.
5. Heat a frying pan and fry the fishcakes in a little oil until golden brown, then place in a preheated oven 160° for around 8 min's. Transfer to serving plate of your choice.
These make a great light lunch with a fresh green salad and a tomato Provençal sauce. You could also make smaller fishcakes and serve them as a starter, or even as part of a composite dish.
These fishcakes can be made a couple of days in advance, or alternatively if you make a large batch you can freeze them. Defrost them before cooking.
Experience the reality of gourmet cooking yourself. There is only one way to learn and that is to do it! Top chefs, luxury accommodation, set in France - the home of gourmet cuisine; what more could you ask for?
Your hosts and tutors are acclaimed chefs Maynard Harvey and Emerson Farrar, two modern chefs who use the freshest ingredients with an emphasis on distinct flavours and clean, meticulous presentation. Their passion and enthusiasm for cooking will stimulate your own love of food, and their expertise will help you gain confidence and perfect your technique in the kitchen.
To find out more about our holidays, courses, accommodation and location deep in the heart of the 'real' French countryside, please look around our site. For further information, contact us.