"It completely surpassed my expectations. Best deal out there and absolutely excellent course."
1. Finely chop the shallot, sweat gently in the butter, then put in food processor. Bring the peas to the boil in a pot of water, add the mint at the last minute and strain into a pot so you have the water the peas were cooked in.
2. While the peas are still hot, transfer into the food processor with the shallots and blend. Season to taste and adjust the consistency with the water the peas were cooked in, until you have a reasonably moist puree.
3. In a saucepan, reduce the balsamic vinegar to a syrupy consistency and put into a bottle with a fine nozzle for pouring.
4. Preheat a heavy based frying pan until it is hot, add the foie gras (do not use any additional butter or oil, it is not needed) and cook on a reasonably high temperature for a minute and a half on either side, or until it is just cooked in the middle. (Cooking time for foie gras varies depending on the thickness of the piece.)
5. Assemble by spooning pea puree into the middle of your plate, placing the foie gras on top, and squeezing the balsamic vinegar around the outside of the plate.
Obviously this is quite a rich starter, so be careful not to serve to many other rich things following this course.
This dish is probably best made to order because it is quite quick to prepare however it is definitely worth having a bottle of reduced balsamic vinegar in the fridge pre made, and if you wanted to could make the pea puree before but you might run the risk of loosing some of the brightness of its color.
Experience the reality of gourmet cooking yourself. There is only one way to learn and that is to do it! Top chefs, luxury accommodation, set in France - the home of gourmet cuisine; what more could you ask for?
Your hosts and tutors are acclaimed chefs Maynard Harvey and Emerson Farrar, two modern chefs who use the freshest ingredients with an emphasis on distinct flavours and clean, meticulous presentation. Their passion and enthusiasm for cooking will stimulate your own love of food, and their expertise will help you gain confidence and perfect your technique in the kitchen.
To find out more about our holidays, courses, accommodation and location deep in the heart of the 'real' French countryside, please look around our site. For further information, contact us.