"The course was all I had hoped for... and more. My aim was to take home a lot of the techniques and basics I felt I lacked. In point of fact I have brought home far more than I expected and find myself brimming with new ideas to try. Maynard and Benedict communicate a real infectious enthusiasm but set standards which they enforce quite severely ..... yet in a manner that doesn't leave you frustrated or embarrassed if you fall short - a rare skill and the sign of true teachers. I find I am astonished at how much I acquired without even realising it."
Belgium, May 2007
1. Finely slice the vegetables into a julienne (thin strips) and fry quickly in a very hot wok with a little cooking oil.
2. Add the ginger, coriander, crab meat, sesame oil and prawns, and season to taste with salt, pepper & a squeeze of lemon, remove from heat.
3. Cut the spring roll pastry into quarters, "glue" two quarters together on top of each other using egg whites as the adhesive.
4. Place a small amount of the cooked mixture on one end of the spring roll pastry, fold the sides over (see below) and roll up using a bit of egg white to stick the end down.
5. Allow the uncooked spring rolls to rest in the fridge for at least 1/2 hr before cooking.
6. Just before serving, deep-fry the spring rolls in clean hot oil until golden brown & crispy.
We serve these spring rolls with a homemade sweet chilli sauce (recipe to follow next month) or you could serve with a bought sweet chilli sauce.
These can be made two or three days in advance and kept in the fridge in an airtight container, however they need to be cooked to order.
Experience the reality of gourmet cooking yourself. There is only one way to learn and that is to do it! Top chefs, luxury accommodation, set in France - the home of gourmet cuisine; what more could you ask for?
Your hosts and tutors are acclaimed chefs Maynard Harvey and Emerson Farrar, two modern chefs who use the freshest ingredients with an emphasis on distinct flavours and clean, meticulous presentation. Their passion and enthusiasm for cooking will stimulate your own love of food, and their expertise will help you gain confidence and perfect your technique in the kitchen.
To find out more about our holidays, courses, accommodation and location deep in the heart of the 'real' French countryside, please look around our site. For further information, contact us.