"Ken & I enjoyed ourselves immensely. We can hardly wait to return home and practice our new found skills. We know we will especially excel at sugar work and chocolate drawing...! Thanks for everything, we really did learn a lot!"
1. Oil 4 ramekins, line them with cling film then line them with smoked salmon so there are no gaps, with excess smoked salmon hanging over the side (to wrap the top).
2. Flake the smoked mackerel into a bowl, making sure there are no bones. Add the horseradish sauce & chopped dill and mix well with the flaked mackerel.
3. Semi-whip the cream and fold carefully into the mackerel mixture. Season to taste with lemon juice, salt & pepper.
4. Spoon the mixture into the lined ramekins, cover with the overhanging smoked salmon and place in the fridge for a couple of hours.
5. To serve remove the timbales from the cling film. Place onto your plate and serve with a prawn and cucumber dressing.
The timbales can be made two to three days in advance.
The timbales are best served as a starter, they are quite rich, so if you are serving a lot of courses it would be best to make them smaller, using smaller ramekins.
Cooking courses and gourmet vacations available at
Experience the reality of gourmet cooking yourself. There is only one way to learn and that is to do it! Top chefs, luxury accommodation, set in France - the home of gourmet cuisine; what more could you ask for?
Your hosts and tutors are acclaimed chefs Maynard Harvey and Emerson Farrar, two modern chefs who use the freshest ingredients with an emphasis on distinct flavours and clean, meticulous presentation. Their passion and enthusiasm for cooking will stimulate your own love of food, and their expertise will help you gain confidence and perfect your technique in the kitchen.
To find out more about our holidays, courses, accommodation and location deep in the heart of the 'real' French countryside, please look around our site. For further information, contact us.