"Dear Maynard, Benedict & Freya
What an amazing week! I was looking for culinary inspiration and found so much more. Not only have you improves my technique but you have also made me think about food in a totally different way - and Maynard, I promise to be more careful with my presentation in future! The Food, the learning and your hospitality were all fantastic and I can't wait for the advanced course in November. I'll be honing my chopping & slicing skills between now & then."
1. Blend the sugar & butter in a food processor until smooth.
2. Add flour, eggs, baking powder, mixed spice and blend until it all comes together, transfer to a large bowl.
3. Add the sultanas and mix into the Welsh cake mixture until they are evenly dispersed though the mix.
4. Roll out onto a lightly floured flat surface until it is all about 5ml thick. Using a cutter, cut out the Welsh cakes to the desired size.
5. Preheat a heavy based frying pan (iron skillets are the best) to a medium heat. Place the Welsh cakes in and cook on a medium heat until golden brown, turn over and repeat.
6. When cooked remove from pan and roll in caster sugar, allow to cool and then eat!
The dough can be made a couple of days in advance, wrapped in cling film & kept in the fridge - just roll out, cut & cook to order.
Perfect with a cup of tea, or if you use a small cutter can be used for petit fours. Best served slightly warm, when they have nearly cooled down from cooking but are not completely cold.
Experience the reality of gourmet cooking yourself. There is only one way to learn and that is to do it! Top chefs, luxury accommodation, set in France - the home of gourmet cuisine; what more could you ask for?
Your hosts and tutors are acclaimed chefs Maynard Harvey and Emerson Farrar, two modern chefs who use the freshest ingredients with an emphasis on distinct flavours and clean, meticulous presentation. Their passion and enthusiasm for cooking will stimulate your own love of food, and their expertise will help you gain confidence and perfect your technique in the kitchen.
To find out more about our holidays, courses, accommodation and location deep in the heart of the 'real' French countryside, please look around our site. For further information, contact us.