"Maynard, Benedict & Freya - Sensational! Thanks for accommodating the two Canadian amateurs in your very accomplished presence! The ambiance and camaraderie were also superb thanks to all! You've introduced us both to an entirely new level of cooking and it will change how we work in the kitchen dramatically."
Thomas & Andy Chisholm
1. Slice onion, leek and celery (when you have chopped the leek, wash well and strain in a colander to remove any grit), heat a heavy based saucepan, add a tablespoon of vegetable oil and a knob of butter and cook the onion, leeks & celery over a medium heat until cooked but not coloured.
2. Chop the garlic and mushrooms and add to the saucepan, continue to cook until the mushrooms are soft.
3. Add the chicken stock, bring to the boil and then simmer gently for 20 minutes.
4. Add the fromage frais or double cream, and liquidise until smooth.
5. Pass through a large fine meshed sieve using the back of a ladle to push the soup through, until all the soup has passed through the sieve. Discard the small amount of pulp left in the sieve, and be sure to scrape the bottom of the sieve to get all that goodness! Season to taste with salt & pepper, and truffle oil if you have it.
Perfect for a winter lunch or a smaller portion as a starter. Serve with fresh crusty bread & butter.
Can be made a couple of days before and kept in the fridge in an airtight container.
Cooking courses and gourmet vacations available at
Experience the reality of gourmet cooking yourself. There is only one way to learn and that is to do it! Top chefs, luxury accommodation, set in France - the home of gourmet cuisine; what more could you ask for?
Your hosts and tutors are acclaimed chefs Maynard Harvey and Emerson Farrar, two modern chefs who use the freshest ingredients with an emphasis on distinct flavours and clean, meticulous presentation. Their passion and enthusiasm for cooking will stimulate your own love of food, and their expertise will help you gain confidence and perfect your technique in the kitchen.
To find out more about our holidays, courses, accommodation and location deep in the heart of the 'real' French countryside, please look around our site. For further information, contact us.